The Northeast is getting its first new theme park in a really long time. The third and largest LEGOLAND theme park in the U.S. will be opening on July 4, 2020 just 60 miles from New York City!
We visited LEGOLAND Florida 2 years ago and are super-excited that LEGOLAND New York is only going to be 2 hours from us! Here is what we know about LEGOLAND New York so far.
The Latest News
We’ve just learned that LEGOLAND New York will officially open its gates on July 4, 2020! Details for the Grand Opening celebration will be forthcoming, but you can imagine that given the date there will be a patriotic theme.
The opening of the first major theme park in the northeast in decades is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and you can be sure we’ll throw a star-spangled party to celebrate it!Matt Besterman, LEGOLAND New York Public Relations Manager
Tickets and Passes
LEGOLAND New York also announced its ticket options. Single day tickets will be $69.99 for kids and $79.99 for adults (13+). Annual passes will be available at 3 levels: Standard, Premium, and Gold. Parking will be $25 for the day. There are discounts available for purchasing online. More details below.
LEGOLAND New York Resort
We first heard about LEGOLAND New York when we noticed it on a list of LEGOLAND theme park locations while planning our trip to LEGOLAND Florida. A few months later, LEGOLAND’s third U.S. theme park was officially announced along with a new LEGOLAND New York Hotel!
Where is LEGOLAND New York Resort?
LEGOLAND New York will be located in the town of Goshen, NY. That’s about 60 miles northwest of New York City. So you’re talking about an hour and a half by car from the Big Apple. Philadelphia is a 2-3 hour drive. Boston is about 4 hours away. The park’s location will be near I-84 and the closest airport is Stewart International, about 25 minutes away by car.
For us, it’s probably going to be about 2 hours to get there. That makes a day trip possible, but it’s more than likely we would plan to stay over so we can enjoy ourselves more.
Largest LEGOLAND Yet
The site for the newest LEGOLAND theme park is 522 acres. 150 of those acres will be dedicated to conservation. That leaves 372 acres for development.
The theme park itself is reported to take up about 153 acres. For comparison, LEGOLAND California is 128 acres, and LEGOLAND Florida is 145 acres. Even accounting for the hotel and support structures, that will still leave room for possible expansion in the years to come.
LEGOLAND New York Theme Park
Like the other LEGOLAND theme parks, LEGOLAND New York will be divided into several sections, each with a different theme. Altogether, the park will include 50 rides, shows, and attractions.
- LEGO Shop
- Brick Party – A carousel of LEGO creations.
- Minifigure Trading
- The Big LEGO Adventure – All new for LEGOLAND NY! Be shrunk to the size of a minifigure and see how LEGO bricks are made!
- DJ Dizzy’s Disco Spin – Spin around while a minifigure DJ plays music.
- Robotic Play Centre – Build robots with LEGO Mindstorms.
- LEGO Creative Workshop – Take a class with a Master Builder.
- Build and Test – Build and race cars, test structures, or just create!
- Creative Jungle – For the little ones to climb, slide, and build.
- Duplo Express – All aboard the Duplo number train.
Meet LEGO Friends: Emma, Olivia, Stephanie, Andrea and Mia. Take a balloon ride over Pinefall Woods. Sample Granny’s famous Apple Fries.
LEGO Ninjago World
- LEGO Ninjago The Ride – Master the power of the elements and save the world of Ninjago.
- Gravity Force Trainer – Train to spin like a Ninja.
- Ninja Training Camp – Think, move, and train like a Ninja.
- Animal Sanctuary – Younger Ninjas can learn about the amazing animals of Ninjago and play with them.
- The Dragon – Chase the red wizard and his dragon from the castle.
- Dragon’s Apprentice – Train baby dragons to fly.
- Merlin’s Flying Machines – Take a ride in Merlin’s flying contraptions.
- Tower Climb Tournament – Hit the targets while you climb the tower.
- Builder’s Guild – Help build the castle.
- Royal Stables – Learn about caring for the royal horses and kingdom’s farm animals.
- Fire Academy – Put your firefighting skills to the test.
- Driving School – Kids ages 6-13 can earn their drivers license.
- Junior Driving School – Kids 3-5 can experience the thrill of driving.
- Coast Guard Academy – Join the Coast Guard and take a boat out on patrol.
- Palace 4D Cinema – Enjoy a 4D movie.
- The Wharf – Explore and Play on the cargo ships.
- City Station – Learn about being a policeman or firefighter.
- Splash Battle – Use your water cannon to fend off pirates, spectators, and other riders.
- Rogue Riders – Ride your racing barrel through storm and other ocean dangers
- Anchors Away – Get tossed and turned as you would on the high seas.
- Playground (Not Named Yet) – Explore and play on the infamous Brick Bounty
- Swabbie’s Schooner – Younger kids can meet the captain and learn about the ship and animals you find.
- MINILAND – See the whole country in one day! Miniland will feature LEGO models of 10 destinations from coast to coast.
LEGOLAND New York Tickets
The first tickets sold were the limited “First to Play” Pass, a special annual pass that comes with an invitation to a pre-opening preview day.
In addition, LEGOLAND New York is offering single day tickets as well as three different annual pass options.
Single Day Tickets
- Single Day Adult (13+) – $79.99 ($71.99 online)
- Single Day Child – $69.99 ($62.99 online)
- 1 Day Parking Pass – $25.00 ($20.00 online)
- Standard Annual Pass – $119.99
- Premium Annual Pass (no blackout dates, parking included) – $134.99
- Gold Annual Pass (includes ALL Merlin Attractions in North America) – $209.99
One thing that we know from the announcement is that like most LEGOLAND locations, this new LEGOLAND theme park will include a 250-room LEGOLAND Hotel that will open along with the park. While there are many guests who will visit LEGOLAND New York as a day trip, there will be benefits for those opting to stay at the LEGOLAND Hotel.
- Themed hotel with interactive LEGO features throughout.
- Your choice of LEGO themed rooms-Pirate, Kingdom, Adventure, LEGO Ninjago or LEGO Friends.
- Located right at the main entrance of LEGOLAND New York.
- Exclusive early access to LEGOLAND New York.
- FREE buffet breakfast at Bricks Family Restaurant.
- Nightly children’s entertainment.
On our visit to LEGOLAND Florida last summer, we stayed in the LEGOLAND Beach Retreat and really enjoyed ourselves. We can only imagine that staying at a LEGOLAND Hotel would be just as awesome!
We’re told the LEGOLAND New York Hotel will start taking reservations in the second half of 2019.
One of the challenges to operating a theme park in the Northeast is the weather. As a result, LEGOLAND New York will be closed during the winter months with an operating season that runs from April-November. (July – November for its first year in 2020). Even in peak season, the park will probably close around 8pm nightly.
LEGOLAND Hotel will be an experience in and of itself and be open all year round. It will make a unique place to stay for families who want to enjoy nearby winter activities.
I hope they’ll consider doing some holiday themed special events during the winter. Can you imagine a MINILAND all decorated and lit up for the holidays? Awesome!
As more information on the progress of LEGOLAND New York becomes available, we’ll share it here and on our social channels. You can also follow LEGOLAND New York’s progress on Facebook. If you happen to be in the area of Goshen, NY, you can stop by the LEGOLAND Community Center at 6 North Church Street, Goshen, NY 10924.