The Radio City Christmas Spectacular starring the world-famous Rockettes is one of the top things to see in New York City during the Holiday Season.
The Christmas Spectacular is keeps getting even more spectacular! When we saw the show in 2017, we were blown away by the use of projections and even drones! The finale now features 100 mini drones! It’s no wonder that this show has been a holiday tradition for families for decades.
The Radio City Christmas Spectacular
In case you’ve never been to New York City or heard of Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes, here’s what we’re talking about:
Radio City Musical Hall is a New York City Landmark located in Rockefeller Center. The theater has hosted all sorts of events but is mostly known for stage productions. For nearly 100 years, the Rockettes have been kicking up their heels and performing precision dance moves to the delight of audiences. Since 1932, the Rockettes have made their home at Radio City Music Hall.
Radio City Music Hall first debuted a Christmas show in 1933. Two of the acts in that very first show, the March of the Wooden Soldiers (starring the Rockettes) and the Live Nativity scene, have been elements of the show every year since.
For many, seeing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular is a holiday tradition. For others, it is one of the highlights of a visit to New York City this time of year.
What’s New at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Even if you’ve seen the Radio City Christmas Spectacular before, this year promises to deliver even more “wow”! In 2017, when we saw the show for the first time in a few years, we were thrilled at how they integrated projection technology on the walls and ceiling of the theater. We were also amazed that drones had become part of the show as well!
This year, they are taking the special effects to an even higher level, with a brand-new finale featuring 100 mini-drones that light up and dance along with the Rockettes! The finale, “Christmas Lights”, picks up right after the living nativity scene.
How to Get Tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular
For the 2019 Holiday Season, the Radio City Christmas Spectacular will be performing from November 8, 2019 to January 5, 2020. Tickets start at $45 per ticket. The more budget friendly tickets can be bought for the November performances.
Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.
Tips for Attending the Radio City Christmas Spectacular with Kids
- The performance is 1 hour and 37 minutes with no intermission.
- Arrive early to buy souvenirs, snacks or use the restroom. With no intermission, be sure to visit the restrooms before the performance starts.
- Also, when you arrive early you can take advantage of special meet and greets with Santa and a Radio City Rockette.
- Buy tickets for a show that’s at a good time for your kids. There are morning, afternoon and evening performances to choose from.
- If possible, book an aisle seat. Should your child need to get up during the show, it will be a lot easier and cause less distraction.
- Booster seats are available for little ones.
- Buy some festive snacks. Our kids always sat better if they had something to munch on.
- Get them excited for the show. Play festive music or watch clips of the show on YouTube to get them used to what they’ll be seeing.
Seeing the Christmas Spectacular is just another fun family friendly event to do in New York City during the Holidays. Pair it with a trip to see the tree at Rockefeller Center, just across the street. Will you be seeing the Christmas Spectacular this year?